02. 12. 2009
Valentine's Day Giveaway- Win a Samsung Propel
Valentine's Day is upon us again: so many expectations, so much longing, so much bitter disappointment. But how has technology affected the big day? Here are results from an AT&T study conducted late last month, about the upcoming holiday:
· 36% of texters intend to send a text or picture message in celebration of Valentine’s Day
· 61% plan to send a text message to someone with whom they’re currently in a relationship, while another 35% plan to send a text message to a friend of family member
· 41% of people who plan to send a Valentine’s Day text or picture messages plan to send five or more messages
· 48% of texters felt that receiving a Valentine’s Day text message would have the same or more meaning or impact than a card, and more than two thirds of texters
· 68% felt that way about receiving a picture message
48% think a Valentine's Day text would be as good as a card? Maybe as good as a card, but not as good as flowers or candy, surely. I think perhaps, this isn't the best advice- buy the card, guys, buy the card.
In Popgadget tradition, we don't want to hear about the carriage rides to the heart-shaped table filled with flowers, champagne, and diamond rings. We want to know about the pissed off, the sad, the downtrodden. Did you get an utterly un-romantic text from your significant other? Did you get an email invitation for a romantic night on the town from your love, only it wasn't intended for you? Let us know about your tale of woe! Men, of course, you're not exempt. Did you get the dreaded, "sorry but UR not the father" message on the 14th? Well if you did, we want to know!
What will you get for sharing your humiliation? A brand-new Samsung Propel phone, from AT&T Wireless, in splashy red and white, valued at $249. The Propel features a full QWERTY keyboard, Bluetooth, 3G data speed, 1.3 MP camera, music player, and the full host of messaging options (email, text, picture mail, IM, even video sharing).
Just leave a comment with your story and we'll pick a winner next Friday. That means you need to leave your comment by noon, February 20th. Or you can email your entry to me and indicate which part of your story you wouldn't mind us publishing here on the site.
Oh one more thing... perhaps you might want to pass on this "Do's and Don'ts of Texting" video by relationship expert Nicole Beland to your valentine before the big day.
We do wish everyone a happy Valentine's Day. Honestly.
Last Year's Pink Centro of Misery Giveaway