04. 28. 2008
Think pollen is the only thing causing your symptoms? You could be allergic to your cell phone.
If it weren't enough that it's pollen season, here comes the news that some of us may also be allergic to our cell phones and other gadgets we come into contact with. Lately, I swear my ears itch when I've been talking on my cell phone for a long time, but it hasn't occurred to me until just now that it might be an allergy. I'm reminded of the time when my earlobes swelled to the size of great big cherries from wearing earrings made of an identified metal.
According to an article in I4U News, those of us sensitive to the metals used in manufacturing portable electronic devices, particularly nickel (used in cell phone batteries) which is one of the leading culprits, may suffer from rashes from contact with these gadgets.
Unfortunately, while it's easy to avoid skin allergies from contact with cheap jewelry (just don't wear it, stick with gold), it's not as easy to avoid allergies to our gadgets. Those for whom money is no object have the option to buy gold-encased cell phones - like these 24 carat iPhones - but the batteries are probably still made of nickel.