« May 2006 | Main | July 2006 »

06.12.2006

Make your own charger: Minty Boost

minty_boost.jpg

Fresh from Limor Fried at Eyebeam, the Minty Boost DYI charger for your handheld devices. The 2 AA batteries and the charger circuitry (which you can make with instructions provided or buy) all fit inside an Altoids box. Aside from the designs, Fried does a great job with providing documentation on her design process. Fried (who also designed the Cell Phone Jammer) is one to watch.

Posted by Ray    Category: devices
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)
Add to: Yahoo Add to: Google Add to: Digg Add to: Del.icio.us Add to: Reddit Add to: StumbleUpon Add to: Technorati

06.12.2006

Floating pool thermometer with remote digital display

pool_thermometer.jpg

Ever felt that rude shock while stepping into a pool at 50 degrees F? And wished you could sense the temperature in advance? Well, check out the Floating Pool Thermometer from Sharper Image. As the name indicates, this thermometer can be placed inside a pool to sense the pool temperature.

The thermometer has a 433MHz transmitter that transmits readings within a range of 100ft. Thanks to which, sitting in the comforts of your home, you can monitor the information on the wireless indoor display. The floating thermometer has a huge LCD display as well which makes it easy to view the readings from a distance. It can display water temperature, humidity, high/low temperature alerts and temperature trend indicators. It runs on 2 AA batteries (not included with the package).

Available for $69.95 from Sharper Image.

Via Gearlog.

Posted by kanchana    Category: devices | home
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06.11.2006

Five Fingers barefoot shoes

barefoot shoes.jpg
barefoot shoes 2.jpg

Unless you're doing some serious sailing or heading to a water park, I’m not really sure how much use you'd get out of these shoes. I mean, those who enjoy being barefoot probably wouldn’t need these. And those who don’t like being barefoot may feel they need something a bit more “shoe” on their feet.

Nonetheless, they do look pretty cool. By utilizing a new patent pending material called Vibram, the sole is designed to follow the contour of your feet and toes, providing a gecko-like sure grip on slippery surfaces. The individual toe slots design boasts it will enhance dexterity, control, and stability to deliver a more natural walking motion.

Priced at $70 USD, they come in 4 colors. Women’s sized from 36 to 42. Men’s sized from 41 to 46. Available at Vibram Five Fingers

Posted by maggie    Category: wearables
Tags:
Email this | Comments (4)

06.11.2006

Back in black

u2.gif

Apple has re-introduced the special edition U2 iPod.

The latest tribute to Bono and company is a 30GB video iPod, which upgrades from the last unit. The new beauty features the distinctive red click-wheel (which sets it apart from the standard black version) and the blackened steel back with each band member’s engraved autograph. Also included is an exclusive treat: a coupon for the iTunes store that lets you download an exclusive 30 minutes of videos and band interviews.

Posted by Brian    Category: devices
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06.10.2006

Swiss Army Knife MP3 player

Swiss army mp3.jpg

I think the Swiss Army Knife is one of the coolest old school gadgety things in the history of gadgets. Well, guess what, the little Swiss Army Knife is “old school” no more. This new version has got a flash based MP3 player built in and a USB drive.

In addition to the regular tools -- 2" blade, mini scissors, nail file with nail cleane -- this little gizmo comes with an MP3 player in 1GB or 2GB capacity (a 4GB version should be out later this year). The player will play MP3, WAV and WMA files, it has an FM radio, and even a voice recorder. It also comes with an external remote control and is equipped with 2 headphone jacks so you can share with that special someone.

For those who want to travel with this and not be stopped by airport security, there is a flight version available with just the player, but who wants that when the player can be removed from the knife so you can toss it into your luggage while keep the player in-flight? Those Swiss folks thought of everything, didn’t they?

1 GB version available at Think Geek for $169.99 USD.

Posted by maggie    Category: devices
Tags:
Email this | Comments (4)

06.10.2006

Pasta express

pastaexpress.jpg

All aboard the Pasta Express! It may look like a regular old pasta noodle container, but it's more. This wacky device will, as the advertisements tell you, let you cook, strain, and drain your meal without having to even dirty a cooking pot. Basically you load up your pasta, pour hot water into the container, slip on the strainer top, and let the noodles cook. Then when enough time has elapsed (7-10 minutes) you remove the thermal lid, drain, and enjoy! Now that's easy. I'm even tempted to order one to give it a try, because let me tell you, on those nights when cooking seems like a chore even saving small steps along the way to preparing dinner can help. And hey, it's only $19.99!

Posted by Katherine    Category: home
Tags:
Email this | Comments (5)

06. 9.2006

Razor® Pocket Mod™ Bistro Electric Scooter

razorpocketmodbistro.jpg

Okay, when those Razor scooters first came out I thought they were cool. You know, they folded up kinda neat, the chrome finish looked hot - I have to admit, I wanted one. Then the deluge of scooter riding perpetual adolescents (those aged 9 - 45) flooded the sidewalks of New York City, killing any ill-conceived feelings of covetousness I might have had for those wheeling tray tables of pedestrian doom. Well, Razor has come out with an offering which has once again whetted my appetite for one of their products, but this time I'll keep my cynical distance until I can be sure I won't be dodging these things while trying to cross the street. Still, there is something movingly aspirational about the Razor Pocket Mod. I mean, anybody can kick-wheel themselves along using an ordinary scooter, but the Pocket Mod has a 250W/24V motor which can travel as fast as 15 mph and as far as 10 miles on a single 8-hour electric charge. It can accommodate riders of up to 220 lbs. And then, the Vespa-like styling has a European feel that speaks to fantasies of summers spent exploring little Italian villages and reclining under the Tuscan sun.

Ha. Who am I kidding? But still, it's a cute little scooter isn't it?

Posted by Katherine    Category: cars | toys
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06. 9.2006

Not just any old iron

ironman.jpg

When I used to play Monopoly as a kid, I always seemed to end up being the iron. I have no idea why. My older brother would always grab my favourite first - the sports car. I'm not really a big fan of sports cars; it just seemed to be the only practical method of travelling from street to street available in the game. My second choice was the iron. I suppose it was because it was such an odd thing to be. An iron! In my harder to impress adult life, the iron is a far less interesting object. It stands for time-consuming boredom. Gratefully, design student Mary Hackney has taken steps to revitalise the universally despised item, whilst sparing a thought for the difficulties men have with them. This new improved iron caters for the fact that many men have problems when using their larger hands with small handles and dials. Other features include a "go-faster stripe" and a scanning device to recognise the fabric being ironed in order to adjust the temperature accordingly. Hmm, I think I'd still rather have the sports car.

Via BBC News.

Posted by Stuart    Category: devices | home
Tags:
Email this | Comments (1)

06. 9.2006

The See and Store in the kitchen

seestorepop.jpg

My maid comes in twice a month to do my laundry and clean my kitchen, but it's a pretty easy job. My kitchen might be decked out with all kinds of fancy equipment, but I'm almost worthless in front of the stove. I try my hardest, but my cooking is so far from impressive that my girlfriend laughs whenever I mention attempting dinner.

However, this complete lack of talent hasn’t stopped me from decorating the least used room in the house. A cool spice rack is paramount to this effort, and the See & Store magnetic storage system is a prime candidate for kitchen deployment.

The nice kids at MOCHA sent in notice that they've rolled out a new selection of the containers in a few different configurations. A five pod vertical counter stand, a twelve square wall mountable square, and several new colors in the classic wall strip. The See & Store has been around for quite a while, but this is solid design and infinitely handy if you're trying to keep things close and visible. Let's face it, the tiny apartment industry keeps Sweden in business, and the See & Store is a system modular enough to be creatively adapted into any space.

Posted by Johnny    Category: home
Tags:
Email this | Comments (5)

06. 9.2006

TOPO table from NONDesigns

topo.bmp

NONDesigns, a California-based studio specializing in creating products through non-conformist solutions, recently unveiled the TOPO table at ICFF (International Contemporary Furniture Fair). According to lead designer Scott Frankly – "We got tired of perfectly flat tables so we made this series called TOPO." In case you are wondering what that implies, the TOPO is a “corian table with removable basins.” It has a surface with intermediate plastic inserts that have been molded over rocks, creating functional landscapes that can be placed either face-up or down. These inserts can then be filled with soil and plants or with utensils, fruits etc.

The design claims to be completely customizable - in the sense that one can choose how much of the table-top real estate goes towards the decorative and how much towards functionality. The idea sounds intriguing, but the price tag of $940 will probably appeal to the taste of avant-garde buyers alone.

Via Inhabitat.

Posted by kanchana    Category: design | home
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

Back to Top All Pages |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12

swf_ad2.gif

Best of Popgadget
10.21.2010

We're back!! And where we've been...

Hello! It's been a while, and I'm so happy to say, we are going to be back and better than ever. We will be changing just a little bit- bringing you more frequently updated content, in a somewhat abbreviated...
Popgadget Recent Comments
Popgadget Steals & Deals
Mom Wants Gadgets for Mother's Day
Trade-in Your Old Electronics
Popgadget Giveaway from American Express! My Life on Points
6-Foot HDMI cable at $3.19 includes shipping
Sony offers some exciting deals for Mother's Day
Unlocked iPhone! Only $599. Or $699.
Got four friends? Take a Peek at this great offer
Green Tech: Eco-fashions priced to move
31 ways to save money on technology from PCWorld
Popgadget Random Images

Where is this image from?